About the Madison School Traffic Safety Committee
The Madison School Traffic Safety Committee (STSC) evaluates traffic-related concerns in and around Madison schools. The STSC consists of representatives from a variety of agencies to ensure traffic safety related issues are dealt with in a holistic way. Each of the committee members are committed to the goal of addressing the issues and eliminating duplicated efforts in relation to traffic safety around the school. The STSC can respond quickly to concerns by sending police and parking enforcement, and can also work with school principals in a more in-depth, long-term planning process.
The agencies include:
- Madison Metropolitan School District (MMSD) – Pamela Wilson, principal at Marquette Elementary, leads the group. Other MMSD staff include those who oversee safety and school facilities.
- Madison Police Department - handles the enforcement, some education related issues and hires, trains, and supervises the Adult School Crossing Guards. This includes the Traffic Enforcement Safety Team (TEST), Parking Enforcement and Crossing Guard Supervisors.
- Traffic Engineering - handles the infrastructure - roadways, sidewalks and paths, signage, traffic calming, pedestrian islands, Adult School Crossing Guard assignments, plus involved with pedestrian and bicyclist safety education.
Madison School Traffic Safety Committee Contact Information:
- Pam Wilson, Principal at Marquette Elementary: 204-3220
- Madison Police:
- Traffic Enforcement Safety Team: 266-4859
- Parking Enforcement: 266-4623
- Crossing Guard Supervisors: 266-4703
- Madison Traffic Engineering: 266-4761
If you wish to make a formal request to the STSC about a traffic-related concern around your school, the school principal should contact Pam Wilson, 204-3224, and fill out the traffic safety evaluation form